Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Mixed Bag

As a professional writer I think about words–a lot–as well as what they mean. Although I try to be original in my expression and provide my readers with fresh images and ways of looking at life, I too often catch myself using cliches. I guess you JUST CAN'T TEACH AN OLD DOG NEW TRICKS. Oops! There I go again. It's AS EASY AS PIE!

My son Jim and I talked about this on his recent visit–since he, too, is a writer. Once we got started on the topic we couldn't stop. Our conversation was suddenly a MIXED BAG of time-worn phrases and often we didn't even know what they meant or where they came from. As much as we tried to AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE, the more they sprang from our lips.

I tried to be as QUIET AS A MOUSE so I wouldn't add to the pile of phrases that was growing BY LEAPS AND BOUNDS, but it didn't work. Soon I was UP THE CREEK WITHOUT A PADDLE. WE LAUGHED UNTIL WE CRIED, but even tears couldn't stop us. We were having MORE FUN THAN A BARREL OF MONKEYS! I have to admit I wonder just how much fun that would be. But then I also pondered what it means to be AS HAPPY AS A CLAM. That one TAKES THE CAKE!

By now I feel like THROWING IN THE TOWEL, or more appropriate, THROWING THE BOOK at myself, the book of cliches, that is. On the other hand, if I do that, I'll be a SITTING DUCK, STUCK IN A RUT or UP A TREE and MADDER THAN A WET HEN, worried that I've gotten myself IN A PICKLE with MORE THAN I BARGAINED FOR!

I think I've said all I have to say on this topic–at least for today–so I'm going to BEAT IT LIKE A RUG before I hit THE POINT OF NO RETURN.

If this little essay RINGS YOUR CHIMES, do let me know! I'll be WAITING WITH BAITED BREATH. Or maybe to you, this is simply MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING. Either way, let me hear from you. A PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS?


2 Comments:

At 8:13 PM , Blogger Ginger said...

Too funny! The "baited breath" phrase always makes me think of a worm on a hook. You really HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD.

 
At 5:36 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Cute Mom. I can picture you and Jim getting off on these—he'd be hilarious. :)

Julie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home