Wednesday, January 12, 2005

"Absoluely Delightful!"

That's what my dear husband said of the writing I'm doing for my latest book on finding the joy in life regardless of the circumstances. He's my best critic, friend, and helper. I can count on him to give it to me straight.

I'm stepping out a bit more with this book for women. I felt the writing was good, but it was great to hear his spontaneous comments and laughter as he read what I handed him. It set my feet a-dancing! :-)

I was nervous about this one because it is a 'commissioned' book. The publisher asked me to write it instead of me proposing the idea. I noticed myself excited (flattered!) about the request, but also wary. Would I meet her expectations? The proposal is due on January 24. So of course between Christmas, 2004 and today, January 11, 2005 there have been a gazillion obstacles–like returning our home to order after the holidays, food shopping since the fridge and pantry were nearly bare, preparing tax forms with my husband, planning our calendar and budget for the new year, etc., etc.

Somewhere in the midst of all this, however, I realized that what I perceive as obstacles are actually catalysts (even blessings) to propel me into action. As long as I remain observant, eager, and grateful, the channel stays open and the words and ideas pour forth. So whether I am balancing my checkbook, watering an African violet, walking along the shore with my husband or cleaning a toilet, I am still 'writing.' What a relief it is to see and know this. Not a moment is wasted as long as I enter into life fully.

What is the basis for this new dimension, this gutsier kind of writing, this feeling of 'stepping out?' I believe these BLOG pages are, in part, responsible for it. As I clear my mind of what's there–whatever that might be on any given day–the creative muse comes forward and delivers what I really want to say to my readers.

I'm discovering that writing a book is only partly discipline (fanny to chair in front of computer), and actually a much smaller part than I once believed. Routine is important, but even more essential–as I see and experience it–is the willingness to trust the uncertainty and unpredictability of the creative process, and then to express myself and see where it takes me. I may soar. I may crash. But either way, the words have been set free. When they're on the page (screen) I have something to work with and I love that. I can push them around, toss, save, mull over, or keep, as I wish.

And the more patient and expectant I am with myself and my muse, the more good stuff comes out! The kind I want to keep. When I have a day like that (which I had yesterday and last week) then I'm ready for a day away from the keyboard–to collect and reflect on what I've done and to savor it! I do that best when I treat myself to something special and do so alone. Today was that kind of day. I started with a walk, then a facial, then lunch, then a hair cut and styling, and finally a manicure and pedicure! Just what I needed to feel good all over. Now back to the computer and the next story that seems to be right there at the edge of my mind. I can hardly wait to see what it is.


1 Comments:

At 7:13 PM , Blogger Ginger said...

I think I know what you mean by writing while you're doing other things. I'm starting to believe that people who write every day quickly grow little "antennae" that pick up on everything around them in literary terms. You're walking on the beach and suddenly just the right description comes to mind for what your character was wearing...and you hadn't even thought about her outfit before! But you know it's just the thing to nail down her personality for your readers.

Fun reading your thoughts on writing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home