Friday, January 07, 2005

First Things First

I'm about to call it a day--even though it's night! I'm tired, but in a good way. I took a fast-walk with a friend this morning just before a predicted downpour, then came home and mopped the tile floor, swished the bathrooms, and dusted. All that was on my agenda for yesterday...but I was on a roll with my writing then and I didn't want to distract myself. I'm glad now that I followed my intuition. I felt wonderful when I woke up today and remembered that I had given my writing priority. That decision propelled me into today's work and resulted in enough energy to finish the cleaning. There was a time when I would have placed housework ahead of everything else. I was too quick to put off what I love to do in favor of what I believe I should do. Now I know that when I do what's most important first, there is time and energy for the less important, as well.

1 Comments:

At 9:11 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I was driving around today thinking about how much pleasure you get from cleaning. It strikes me that in so few posts, you already have mentioned cleaning a few times! And when I imagine your home, it's always a well-orered, peacful, inviting place to be as a result.

I almost never have trouble diving into computer work over cleaning. No contest. :)

However, what I enjoyed in reading about your cleaning sense is the way you find it nurturing. And when I do have quiet and make time to pick up and tidy up (which I do far more deliberately now than I used to), I find that I get a sense of order and peace from it.

It would never distract me from other things on its own, but when I allow myself to put cleaning first, then I find it satisfying in its own way. Sort of a backward reflection on your topic, but that's what I thought about today as I drove around reflecting on your posts.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home