Sunday, January 16, 2005

Blessed Assurance

I chose the word PEACE as my word-of-the-year for 2005. I've had many opportunities since January 1 to observe myself in reference to it. Sometimes I live it and sometime I just think about it. For example, last Thursday I had a speaking engagement about 45 minutes from my home. It should have been a breeze to drive to the site. But it wasn't--due to an overturned crane on the freeway. It took 90 minutes to reach my destination. As I sat in my car, crawling along at 1 mile per hour I thought a lot about my word. I decided to stop holding it as a thought and start actively living it. I couldn't control my situation, frustrating as it was–but I could control my attitude. So I flipped on the radio to a station that plays classical music and allowed myself to relax into it, to enjoy the beautiful scenery outside my window–snow-capped mountains in the distance and deep green hills after the rain storms from the week before.

When it became clear that I would not make it to the event on time, I phoned the meeting planner and told her my dilemma. She was wonderful! "Don't worry," she consoled. "I'll just flip the program around. What we were planning to do during the last half, we'll do first. That will open the last half of the morning for you to speak." Thank heaven for cell phones and for patient meeting planners!

I arrived with a moment to spare, just enough time to hit the ladies' room and freshen my lipstick. My topic for the day was 'finding joy in everyday life–regardless of the circumstances.' How interesting!

I had been challenged to live my message before I gave it. I took a deep breath, plunged into the subject, and within seconds any residue of frustration fell away and I was at peace–and in joy!

The book of Isaiah in the Old Testament records the following: "The work of righteousness shall be Peace, and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance forever."

PEACE–what a great word–a living word for today and every day of my new year!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home