Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Prophetic Words

I pulled out an old dictionary this afternoon--a gift from my grandfather for my 11th birthday in 1949. Gosh, that's a long time ago. I opened the crumbling volume and saw again his lovely handwriting and the note he wrote me.

Dear Karen:

Many happy returns on this your 11th birthday. With the good start you have already attained in the expression of meaningful words, I am confident that with the help of this book, you will soon become a walking dictionary.

Love, Grandpa

I smile just thinking about this. Even then Grandpa recognized my 'thing' for words. Here I am some 50 years later writing, speaking, and mentoring aspiring writers. What a blessing to have realized a dream that Grandpa had for me even before I had dreamed it for myself. Thank you, God, for this talent, and for my grandfather.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home