Thursday, April 28, 2011

Head Start!

Here are future published writers who attended my Head Start class at the recent writers conference at Mount Hermon Christian Conference Center. What a pleasure it was to nurture their dreams, encourage their writing, and be part of their path to publication. I remember when I took the leap into my career nearly forty years ago. I wrote an article for Crusader Magazine, a small publication for boys 8-12 years of age. I called it "A Trail of Tips for First Time Campers," and earned $12.50 for my effort. I promptly had the letter of acceptance Perma Plaqued at a local shop and it hangs on my office wall to this day reminding me of the time I turned professional. I've published hundreds of articles since then, in print and on the web, and seventy books as well as a variety of other kinds of writing,


but none has warmed me as much as that first sale, when I dared to dream and then took the steps to turn it into reality--by the grace of God and by my willingness to commit. How grateful I am.

4 Comments:

At 12:16 PM , Blogger Terra said...

Karen, the writers in your class were very blessed to have your coaching, I am sure.
Yes, that first publication and the first check are SWEET indeed! My first published article was "This Coffee is For the Birds".

 
At 1:08 PM , Blogger James Lindquist said...

Karen, this is a very encouraging blog. There may be hope yet for my publication. I appreciate you and your working with me in the past. You are very thorough in your editing and that is a blessing. GBY in your future publications. I bet that first one was a complete and total blessing to you.

That could spark someone into a career of writing. Not so much the money but that someone liked your writing enough to accept it for publication. The payment would be a secondary blessing - but received, LOL.

Later,

Jim

 
At 1:15 PM , Blogger James Lindquist said...

Oh and something I wanted to tell you: I had a church contact me back east who wanted to use my "Seeking God" book for a teaching course at their church.

The Lord told me to give that book away and not to charge for it. I complied and He blessed me with this request from a church. If only one person got something out of it and was blessed because of it, that made the time writing it ALL worth it.

Its not published but I was honored with that request. You edited that manuscript for me,to which I say again, thank you.

Jim

 
At 8:44 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Mom, didn't that perma plaque cost you double your payment? :^) That's how I tell the story anyway. Love this encouraging post!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home