Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sweet on George!



My husband Charles and I finally made it to Washington, DC after talking for years about going there. We saw many beautiful sites, visited memorials and museums, and sat in Lafayette Park and stared at the majestic White House on several occasions, but the highlight for me was visiting Mount Vernon, actually walking through the house that George and Martha Washington loved so much, and the beautiful grounds on the hill overlooking the Potomac River. I saw the bed they slept in--the very one George died in, as well as favorite chairs and shoes and tables. Such artifacts make people of the past come alive for me in a way that facsimiles never can. President Washington did so much for our country--yet his ardent desire was to be a farmer. He proudly showed his gardens to all visitors. He was also a deeply religious man. I love this quotation. “It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home