Monday, January 26, 2009

On the Road With Karen and Sherry



My friend Sherry Kyle and I felt like a couple of Nancy Drews as we drove south over the weekend to two small towns along the coast of California––the settings of our novels-in-progress––and did a bit of sleuthing. The rain poured and the wind howled but nothing could stop us from completing our mission! We met people who supplied historical facts about the towns and took photos and long walks to ponder our plots. Our visit included some great eating, sight-seeing, and driving too. We came home refreshed and recharged to get back to the keyboard and put our imaginations into words. What better life can there be than that of a writer?

5 Comments:

At 1:55 PM , Blogger Conversing with Carol said...

Karen, I love your idea of going to visit the towns you're using as settings. Getting historic information, a feel for the towns as you walk, eat, and wander, sounds terrific. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 2:35 PM , Blogger LeAnne Benfield Martin said...

Sounds like big fun!

LeAnne, who loves researching

 
At 8:45 PM , Blogger James Lindquist said...

Hi Karen, Who says that research can't be fun - with a little imagination. Sounds like fun.

 
At 10:10 AM , Blogger Patti Hill said...

Hey, did you have room in the back seat? Trunk? Sounds like a trip I would have enjoyed.

My writing buddy, Muriel, traveled with me to my last setting. A cattle herd woke us up the second morning--going down Main Street! You can't beat actually absorbing your setting for good fiction.

 
At 6:41 AM , Blogger Moonine Sue Watson said...

That sounds like a wonderful trip. My husband and I spent a week in the Black Hill of South Dakota to research for mine. We also did a weekend in Lawrence, Kansas. Now if I could come up with a book about Venice, Italy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home