Monday, July 30, 2007

Gone With The Wind




While in Atlanta recently Charles and I visited the apartment building where Margaret Mitchell and her husband lived while Margaret wrote Gone With The Wind. It's hard to express how I felt as I walked through the three-room apartment where she sat at her manual typewriter spilling her story onto hundreds of pages, not knowing where it would lead--but in the meantime doing what she felt nudged to do as she recovered from an injury.

When someone brought attention to her story and wanted to take it to a publisher she was reluctant, almost scared to release it. But she did finally, after a publishing representative persisted. It was to be her only book, but what a book it is. Today as I think of her after touring her home and the museum of memorabilia from her life, I'm inspired to keep on with what I've been nudged to do with my life--to write books and blogs and magazine articles and stories and letters. I don't know if one day anyone but my children and grandchildren will remember the homes where I lived, and I doubt a museum will be erected in my honor, but what matters is that I do what I'm here to do...and for now that is more than enough.

4 Comments:

At 7:51 AM , Blogger Linda said...

Yes, since I began writing I do feel that I am doing what I am here to do for the first time since I finished raising my children. It doesn't matter how many people read what I write, just that I write it.

 
At 8:11 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Karen,

You know, sometimes it's enough just to know that others--you and Margaret Mitchell, for example--feel the way I do about writing. Perhaps no one but my loved ones and friends will remember, in distant years, that I wrote at all, but if that's what I'm on earth to do, so be it. If it's something bigger, well, hopefully I'm up to it.

 
At 10:21 AM , Blogger Jenni Hurst said...

Yes, I agree totally! I feel such joy when someone tells me that something I wrote was used by God in their life. It's also humbling because God used it in their life - all I did was obey enough to get it out there. Results are His domain.

 
At 11:45 AM , Blogger Conversing with Carol said...

What a memorable experience, Karen. I remember being in Louisa May Alcott's home years ago. It was amazing to see how this author of Little Women wrote on the walls of her home when she didn't have paper. Her parents must have been incredibly supportive to leave those writings there for future generations to appreciate. I'm glad you're doing what you are called to do, to write, to encourage, to bring hope and challenge to others, certainly including your family. I too feel that call and am asking God to give me the guts to stick with it through writing AND marketing!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home